View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 11:02 AM

1985 300D Front Driver's popping/ knocking

I've searched to the point of exhaustion and pained eyes. I've found similar stories but nothing spot on that I could find.

1985 300D, entire front end is new with the exception of the firewall area sway bar bushings. Engine mounts are 1 year old, everything else about 4 months.

I get a popping/knocking sound predominately when turning the car at low to mid-range speed (10-30MPH), when the weight of the car settles to either side. I also hear/feel it when hitting the brakes hard. No noise when just going over speed bumps or rough roads. I think I can also hear it when I shut down the engine as well. Engine shocks are also new (about 3 weeks old).

I've checked the rotors and calipers, they're all new and tight in the front. I've tried rocking the engine on the mounts to duplicate the sound but haven't been able to. My indy shop went through it and couldn't quite tell but thinks it could be a guide rod mount. My alignment shop went through it and thinks they've narrowed it to the UCA bolt using their stethoscope tools. Nothing is loose.

I'm stumped. I tried getting a video this morning. It's not the clearest audio, but the noise can be heard at 0:54-55, 1:10-12, 1:25, 1:51, 2:00, and 2:08.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJNv24gHRg&feature=youtu.be