View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Older = Better

Thanks for the input guys!

OK 99% was a euphemism for "there are parts to make it bolt-in if I want it to be" but I will be fabbing a bunch of stuff while I've got the car apart.

I've done engine swaps before so I know how even a "straightforward" swap can have lots of minutia that bogs you down. I can see this one being like that. But on this car I'd rather cheat and fab certain things than get really extensive with changing things over.

Exhaust: I want to make a custom exhaust, so I don't really care which headers (i.e. exhaust manifold) I have. I'll likely cut the downpipe flange off and from there on down will be new. I would think that the headers are not chassis specific, but even if they are, I don't think it would make much of a difference if I'm making a custom downpipe etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Transmission: So I can use the w116 transmission? Awesome!

Driveshaft: I figured as much, so I'll try to get one from a w123 280e.

Differential: My w123 currently has a 2.47, and my w116 has a 3.69. I think I'll end up swapping these, but if changes are needed I could source a new diff pretty easily. (I still have my w123's original 3.07 as well.)

Fueling: Do I really have to change the lines? I thought it might be easier to adapt the existing diesel lines and add an aftermarket inline pump and filter back at the tank. But I might as well check out 280e parts to see if they'll be easier to use.

Engine management: my M110 is carbureted. I haven't decided if I want to leave it that way or convert it to TBI and MS. I feel like the latter would make the swap a lot easier, and it's in the long-term plan anyway.

Ignition switch? Didn't realize about that one - is it different in a gasser?

SLS: I was planning to delete the SLS. Mine works fine, but I'm one of those guys who wouldn't miss it. But are you saying that on the M110 the head and camshaft are ready to drive an SLS pump already? So I just need to buy the drive dog and the SLS pump? Is there any chance that those parts can be taken off of my OM617???
'74 280
'87 Porsche 944 turbo