View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillytwotank View Post
Thanks y’all for the replies. Update: the compressor spins freely 360 smoothnot notchy.
I unplugged the only wire connection that I could see on the compressor. Like a one pole barrel type thing on the upper right side just underneath the PS pump. Right?
13.5 volts on the wire with ac on max LO. About 8v with the climate off
Jugging my lead blindly down the plug hole I see OL or very low resistance on the comp side.
Also, I can hear a chirping so Nd coming from the clutch when the engine is running like a bad bearing.
Thoughts? Looking like a bad clutch ya think?
The one wire you see is to start the compressor, it gets 12V +ve from the pushbutton unit when refrigeration is commanded. the field coil is a 5 amp circuit.

the 8V you see is the bias voltage, and its for the unit to detect if the compressor clutch field coil is good or bad (and then shoot a code at you)

The chirping is always the belt, check for its age etc. the clutch makes a clicking noise when the pressure plate is pulled in and will hum as it starts up. The system is setup to immediately blow the fuse on the field coil if the pulley slips against the pressure plate.

To check the coil - use a multimeter set to ohms, red to plug on compressor, black to its body. - you should see about 2.5 or 4 ohms

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)