View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 05:56 PM
https://fintail.org

Look at how rusted the cowl partition in my car was compared to the one I removed from the parts car.

Once I had the partition out, I saw that the inside of the cowl had also rusted through. It got even worse where you can't see. The bottom surface was heavily pitted and I poked a screwdriver through in several places. So much for simply plug-welding a new partition in place.

I have an 85 amp wire feed welder, so I cut twenty holes in a sheet of metal that I cut from the parts car, and after cleaning the surfaces to bare metal, I tried plug welding the holes at several different settings. Nope. The stick welder isn't going to cut it. I would destroy the metal for sure. A proper MIG welder would cost several hundred dollars or more, even used. I could get a cheap $200 one from Harbor Freight, but then I'd still need to get a gas bottle, which could be another $100 or so on top of that (just guessing). Then with now having to weld in patch panels, I think it's going to be wiser and cheaper to pay to have a professional do the work. It's money I shouldn't be spending, but I'm not going to just J-B Weld it together and call it good.

I cut out the rusted-through and pitted sections of metal. It was a larger section than I had hoped, and there are still about two pinholes and three pits that will need to be filled in.

It looks like it's probably going to cost a couple hundred dollars to have the panels welded in. The area that has to be welded floats about an inch over the right side wire harness that exits the firewall, so I'm hoping it can be shielded enough to stay in place.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles

Last edited by Squiggle Dog; 07-04-2018 at 12:04 AM.