View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 07:42 PM

I went with the Garagistic's set for $17 plus $2.94 shipping because I just couldn't see paying $65 for three pieces of plastic. It was hard enough shelling out the $20 but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

About the only difference I can see in the gears is the Odometergear's E3 gear is fully molded and the Garagistic's gear requires you to install a provided spacer. Not enough of a difference to justify the $40 extra in my opinion.

I advise using the Odometergear's installation instructions as the Garagistic's instructions are for a BMW and it is not quite the same as a Benz.

A bit of advice. COUNT the teeth on the E3 gear BEFORE you order the parts. According to the Garagistic's web site, 16 teeth is standard for a gasoline odo and 12 is the standard for a diesel.

Umm, maybe on some cars but on the 1985 300SD I just did, 15 teeth were on the E3 gear. This translates to a 7% difference using the 16 tooth gear and the 12 tooth gears don't even touch.

Had to order another complete set plus pay an additional $5 for a "custom" gear set. I could probably have exchanged them but I have another W126 which needs the gears replaced.

I could also have got a single 15 tooth E3 gear from Odometergear for $25 plus shipping.

Odometer was checked using my portable GPS Speedhut speedometer. The speedo was dead on (50 MPH was 49.9 MPH) but the odo was "fast" using the 16 tooth.

The odometer and speedometer are completely separate components on Mercedes electronic speedometers.

Last edited by Mike D; 07-02-2018 at 08:03 PM.