View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
While I admittedly picked my Cruze diesel somewhat "just because", I'm not sure what gasoline car would get over 60 mpg highway and still be torquey fun to drive, for just over $20,000. Because I actually considered a few for the sake of being objective and I didn't see any. Not saying I don't worry about the reliability, but I have a warranty. Whether or not it all balances out I don't know, maybe not ... Just saying it does have some selling points.

Edit: meant to add, to the OP's question ... I only know one person who got the fix instead of taking the money. He said he doesn't really notice any difference in performance or mpg since the change. It's a stick sedan.

I have wondered how those cruise diesels have worked out for owners. No local sales of them or very few.

Never talked to anyone that owned one. If the diesel turns out to be basically trouble free .You probably are ahead of the game.

Cost of fuel for cars is a much larger issue up here in eastern Canada. It takes about 40.00 to buy 8 US gallons of fuel. I have the oddball engine in my older 2006 Jetta model. Where there is no high pressure pump. The injectors themselves are pressured up by the camshaft and electronically fired. It seems to be getting better fuel milage than the newer engines.

We burn a lot of fuel in this household. Volkswagon is starting to dump a lot of buybacks up here now. I am starting to even see some of them on used car lots. Favorable reports are out there regarding fuel milage and performance. With some having issues.

What Volkswagon has partially concealed is the pollution gear was turned off because of issues caused with carbon buildup in their systems. Not to particularily enhance other things. They were having too many warranty issues with the problem. I think my generation of engine was where the problem revealed itself.

There were no diesel sales of 2007 volkswagon diesels here. The problem was that bad plus the engines were eating camshafts. To pressure up the injectors they added four more lobes to the cam with reduced contact areas for the lobes. . I think time has proved that their oil change period was too long. Change it at half the recommended period and the cam problem seems to cease. Why they could not figure this out themselves is beyond me.

They came back in 2008 with the doctored emission system I suspect and high pressure pump rail system. I can modify my older engine to eliminate the carbon problem.

That high pressure pump should be changed out probably at 100 K. If it fails it costs thousands to repair. As the pump shreds metal it gets the injectors etc. as well. A new pump is about 500.00. Sane preventative maintenance.

Last edited by barry12345; 07-04-2018 at 06:57 AM.