View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 PM

Well, had a MAJOR issue today. Stopped at Wally World, headed home and temp started climbing, as usual. Kept climbing... kept climbing. Luckily, I had just bought two gallons of distilled water. Managed to cool it down twice and limp home. Doesn't appear to have blown the head gasket, so it could have been worse. Small hole in the lower hose right at a clamp on the water pump had drained the coolant. Had enough to cut the hose above the hole and re-clamp until I can get a new hose (probably the original 1992 hose). While I was at it, I took out the thermostat and drilled six 1/4" holes around the top ring. On the highway, never saw over 90C. Drove for about 10 mins and then stopped for about three minutes. Temp barely climbed above 100C and INSTANTLY started back down as soon as I started moving again.

Going to hit Pull A Part this week and see if I can find a big Volvo electric fan. Have already estimated that I can get it in by looking at the one on my 960. That will put an end to depending on the clutch fan at low rpms.