View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Since I do not own one I have not done any in depth research. There should be good write ups on the issue on the Volkswagon forum threads.

The magnet ideal is mine. It may or may not work. I just visualize it as better than nothing.

As you are aware there are some brutally powerful magnets out there today. So strong they will even self adhere to the fuel feed line. With enough force of attraction you physically will almost have to struggle to pull it off.

I do not know the indicators of the pump is shredding. It may be the metal shavings get into the injectors. So the engine does not run properly. Rather than the high pressure pump actually stopping to pump. Possibly the output pressure declines slowly as well.

As I mentioned. I have just heard in various places these pumps fail. With what regularity and percentagewise I do not know. Enough to call it a chronic problem I also do not know. Depending on the type of pump design they are it could even be damage from water in the fuel over time.

Come to think of it I have not even investigated the old 2006 for a water separator in that system. Years ago their earlier diesels had a nice large one near the rear axle.

I perhaps should get a little more up to speed on what we own probably. Converted to miles it shows about 115K and is running very well so far.

I will change the oil about every 3 to 4K miles. Because of the cam issue on this particular year of engine. It also has a more frequent timing belt change at every 80K miles.

Probably as the timing belt also drives the injector pressure to 26K psi in each injector increasing the load the cam sees. .Technically this 2006 engine does not have an actual injection pump either. The cam drives each injector to 26K psi and then they are electronically fired. My fuel delivery pump in the tank is around 6psi. No engine driven high pressure pump other than each injector. A self pressurizing common rail system?

Last edited by barry12345; 07-09-2018 at 12:01 PM.