View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon69 View Post
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the car isn't running lean..I've had a co2 meter on it, and all is good. It's a little rich if anything, certainly at idle, although only by a percentage point or so. It does tick over a little roughly however, I imagine that is down to a need for fresh inlet manifold gaskets and plenum seals, ( I replaced all injector seals) but that is a question for another post. Once off idle it is as smooth as you like with great power and immediate pick up, so I don't think there's much wrong there.
I don't move the lever around when at a light etc, and I do use the parking brake when I leave the car, although I can't say I'm a fan of the Mercedes handbrake physically.
Two easy things to check for if the idle is rough and under power the engine is smooth.

One: Check the ignition points/timing. Use a dwell meter. Just a bit of wear in this area can cause what you are talking about. And just a quick peek at the points can tell you their condition.

I have seen engines where the contact point material was totally gone; all that was left was two tiny metal stalks. This was on a 1966 Dodge Dart. But the engine still ran. Poorly.

Two: Check your engine mounts. When they start to go the idle will seem rough but only because the engine is not mounted as solidly as it once was. Just start the engine, have someone step on the gas while you watch the engine. If the engine shifts slightly and then sounds smooth you know you have a busted motor mount. Plan on replacing all of them, including the transmission mount at the same time. If one is bad then the others are on the verge of death.