View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM
dieselfuelinjector.guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
Hello,

Perhaps it would be wise to consult wiser minds. The story is I have a 450sel and a 300SD both w116. I want to convert the 450SEL over into a diesel using the 300SD. The only problem I have is the driveshaft. The 450sel is 1/2" wider and therefore doesn't line up with the small 300SD transmission and differential driveshaft connection ends. The 300SD drive shaft is 2" short (the 450SEL is overall 2" longer than the standard w116 chassis, more back seat leg room).

Question: Is a custom drive shaft possible? Under 1000$, in all honesty under 500$. What am I looking for? All I want is to make the drive shaft 2" longer, but I need it to be the size of the 300SD driveshaft ends (the part that butts up to the flex disc), I assume I would have to send it out and they have to make an entirely new shaft.

Or is this project dead in the water? The car body is 98% rust free @ 150k miles.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Your issue is EZ Peezy

A competent DS shop can do the front DS section for under $200.00. The only issue is getting your measurements spot on before you make one.

As for the differential issue, simply swap out the yoke and get a new funky 12 pt nut. The issues are seals and a delicate hand with the torque wrench. That is, doing your maintenance. I have a 2.65 LSD in my W123 which came from W116 6.9 (M100). Your swap would keep your axles and differential and just swap the yoke. If you want different gearing, you can just swap that out too finding a different W116 differential. If you can find a 2:65 LSD, then that's the ideal rear IMO

You're not the first to make a 450SEL a diesel .... You got some wiring harness issues and vacuum inclusions ...