View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM
ROLLGUY

I have had two '05 CDI's (still in the immediate family though), and have an '07 Bluetec now (I got such a good deal on the Bluetec, I could not pass it up). As far as the engine goes, the OM648 is probably the last "best" Diesel engine made in my opinion. The inline six is a powerhouse, and still delivers great economy. It is fairly easy to work on as well. I had to replace the SBC in one of the CDI's, but as previously stated, it was not a big deal. Doing the job myself (mostly) only cost around $600. I would have no problem keeping and driving a CDI for many hundreds of thousand's of miles. Agreed about getting an MB specific scan tool. Even if you don't do your own work, it is good to know what is going on before having something repaired. It is easy to get ripped off. As far as the '07 and newer, they have their problems as well, but they are well known. Being a DIY guy, I was able to replace the oil cooler seals myself. I know most people would not take on this task (I was apprehensive at first), but it was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. As for the CDI, they too have known problems. None of them scare me, nor would they keep me from owning/enjoying another one, should the need arise. I, like many others here have and have had very enjoyable experiences with the W211 platform. I personally would stay away from the gas version though. The one nice thing (among many others) about the '07, is it does not have the AdBlue system. I also like the interior color better than that of the '05-'06. I suggest getting the best CDI you can afford, you won't have any regrets.