View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 AM

ETS is what I've seen some people/docs refer to the "evaporator temp sensor" as.

I'll get accurate pressures using the method you and others described. I don't have the mercedes CC manual, but in the Haynes AC book, there is a table of pressures and for 82 mercedes diesel I think the high pressure was supposed to be around 230-250 or so. No idea if those tables in that book are to be trusted.

for the r134 charge I put in exactly 80% of the r12 weight specified on my radiator support tag - I read up on the ranges from 75-90% and did not want to over charge initially.

If the condenser drain is that foam tube that goes down into the transmission tunnel - I replace that disintegrated engineering marvel (foam???) a while ago with a piece of rubber from a garbage disposal drain kit. I have what looks like normal condensation draining out from under the car when the AC is in use.

the electrical wiring/relays and such related to the fan and compressor appear to be functioning correctly. temp and pressure switches on receiver are new (as is receiver). If one of those switches were faulty, would they default to OFF or on? Compressor is working so should I assume that switch is getting enough pressure to complete the circuit?
`

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
I'm not convinced that orientation of the oil hole matters. With all the pulsation going on inside the compressor crank case it likely does not matter. Even if it did, any sort of front needle bearing / front seal failure would be pretty far down the road.

One way to find out for sure if the hole matters is look at a GM factory manual for a car that uses this compressor ( lots of mid 70's / mid 80's stuff )

Apparently this is the thread

Bad new ac low pressure cuttoff switch?

Correct, oil clocking has nothing to do with a iced evaporator.

This won't cause evap icing.

What is an ETS?

Under charge can lead to icing of the evap because low side pressure is too low causing the evaporating liquid to absorb too much heat.

Over charge will result in high side pressures being too high.

I haven't done a R12 to R132 conversion, but some searching shows 85 - 90 -95 % of R12 capacity.

Try to get some accurate pressures, wait for the low side to get to it's minimum and take the high side at that moment. To calculate pressure ratio, add 15 to each pressure then divide low into high.

From your prior post (low side was like 25 high side around 230-250 maybe)

25+15 = 40 ______ 230 + 15 = 245 _______ 250 + 15 = 265

1 to _______________6.12 _________________ 6.62

According to https://www.cpsproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/CTK1300A_manual.pdf

R12 needs 5 - 6 to 1

R132 needs 6 - 7 to 1

When you operate the AC, does the discharge line from the evaporator get cold? ( This is the one between the evaporator and compressor ) If the line isn't cold, the system is undercharged.

Too much oil reduces efficiency because oil starts to coat the condenser / evaporator piping. Too little oil won't cause the evap to ice up.

Is your condensation drain clogged?

Do you have a wiring diagram for the clutch control / pressure / temp switches? Something needs to shut the compressor off when evap temp is low or suction pressures is too low.

A factory manual describing how this particular system operates would be valuable.
1982 300D Turbo
Petrol Blue Green