View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
This is a pic of a tool I tried to make with for the C-press so it would push on the lip of the Lemforder Ball Joints. I gave on it before I finished it. In the pic it needed to be much shorter and have a step on the opposite end that fit into the C-press would have been helpful.

The tool needed to be cut long the dotted line to shorten it. That is a tube welded to a Washer. In order to get the right ID of tube I had to cut the tube length wise, pinch tube together and weld the length of the cut together. I could find no tube locally that with a good inside diameter that matched.

Even more helpful would have been if I read the old thread because another member, Dormison had already made the same tool.

Another problem with the C-press (I have 2 from different makers and also used a free rental from Autozon just to see the differences) is that the thread rod and hole have a very sloppy fit to them and there is a good deal of wobble. That makes it harder to press straight in.
When I needed to make an adapter to press w123 ball joints, I found that a threaded coupler for 1.5” schedule 40 pipe could be made to fit by taking a die grinder to the threads on the inside of one end. I ended up welding mine to a heavy plate with a notch cut in it and using an H frame press and they went in easily.

X2 on double checking the guide rod mounts for the noise though.
SOLD '80 240D 4 speed manual, #2 piston pitted from crushing a 10mm nut. Running it 'till it burns through.
'78 F-150 300cid 4spd od (with my great unkle's original sales receipt)
SOLD '66 Ford P-350 delivery truck (almost driveable)
'49 Dodge B1D (1 ton Pilothouse era truck) not running but all there, candidate for om617 and 4x4 conversion when money permits.

Last edited by TurboRedkneck; 07-20-2018 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Add more musings