View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_turn9 View Post
. . . but so far have been unable to contact anyone who can explain if failure of the fuel pump is covered. . . . Other than that how's the E350 holding up? Is the Engine light on? I have been told I have the Cam Sensor issue but the engine ran great before the pump died. I'm trying to decide whether to keep or sell it once I replace the pump. I am normally a MB Diesel guy . . .
Based on the conversation I had with my service advisor at the dealership, the pump would NOT have been covered absent the leaking tank, but you’ll of course want to confirm that. They told me that MB considers the tank, pump, and filter to be essentially “one part” for purposes of replacement. Thus, because my tank was leaking, I got the other stuff because it “came with the tank.”

I’d rate the car overall as decent. It has about 118,000 miles on it now. I’ve had it since ‘08. I bought it off lease. The only two times the check engine light has ever come on for me was when the dealer left a vacuum hose loose after doing some transmission work and when one of the new spark plugs they installed at 90,000 miles failed a few days after it was installed. My wife likes the car; it has been reliable for her and my kids. I usually try to keep her vehicles for 10 or so years. The car has had its fair share of little issues that, while not making it unreliable, have made me think twice about replacing it with another Mercedes. Honestly, though, I think the first year of the M272 and 722.9 transmission in the W211 was just a bit rough and I should have probably thought more about buying a “first year model.”

What is the “cam sensor issue?” The wiring harnesses for my cam position sensors were replaced under a recall, I think. Is that what you’re talking about? Or are you referring to the balance shaft issue? The latter is expensive to repair, and I think we’re both out of the “help from MB” period for that. My feeling is that, because of the complicated electronics on these cars, as they get older, they are going to cost a lot to keep on the road for folks who don’t have the time to do a lot of DIY. Also, they are never going to be as dependable and cheap to run as a comparably sized Honda or Toyota (although the MB is a much nicer driving car). If cheap and dependable is what you’re going for, I’d probably get it running, sell it, and buy a Japanese sedan. I still daily drive my ‘85 300D. Somewhere along the way, luxury cars became more about the latest features and less about being built to last for a really long time; I think that’s what the car buying public wants. It’s not really what I like, but I’m in the minority there, and I’m okay with that.

I hope you can get yours running again without too much trouble.
'85 Mercedes 300SD (smoke silver/burgundy)
'79 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

'05 Toyota Camry (because always running is nice)

'85 Mercedes 300D sold back to orig. owner 8-1-06
'84 Volvo 264GL Diesel, owned 2000-2013