View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplem104 View Post
I ordered and received a CLK63 BS rear wheel flange. I was going to have some others modified but could not find a good donor. Drilling and broaching the originals was very expensive although not a lot more than the BS ones. The good news is that it is a direct replacement for the w124 flange into the bearing and offsets are the same etc. Just 27 spline. So that also means that the BS axles should work or at least all the comparable parts. I have not gotten an axle length measurement although I am working on getting a set. C63 axles may work also. The lenth is right but the stub into the flange is a little different.
Also I have the differential mounted in the standard w124 subframe instead of the v8 one. Alignment on the one mount is perfect just a little clearance needed to push the diff back a little. Will end up make a new mount once the other rear one is done.
You could probably find a rear cover that works if you tried hard enough. Or just modify the rear cover to fit the subframe. Just some time to make new mounts not very much money so I will work with what I have got.
I will post some picks once I have the diff mounts done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplem104 View Post
I finally got around to pressing in the wheel bearings and flanges and sliding it together for the 1st time with all the parts. Everything fits and the axles are perfect. So all that is left is welding up the subframe for the mounts and bracing and then the driveshaft. I will wait till next spring for the driveshaft and the install because I am saving for my diesel project but I do not think there will be any problems with this at all. So in conclusion the clk63 BS wheel flanges{note the bolts are the larger 14mm instead of the 12mm} and stock bearing with a little machine work on the spindles to clear for the C63 axles are what is needed. The differential fits in the stock front mount location and one of the rear mounts is lined up properly but has to be clearanced and the other has to be made. I am going to box up the subframe after the mounts are welded in.
I did this on the standard subframe not the v8 ones. I am going to reinforce some other areas in the subframe also to make sure that I do not twist or break it. I have a 2800 stall converter for the 722.6 coming so I should be able to launch pretty hard. If not I will go bigger on the stall eventually.

The 140 axle fits 129 diff, but 27 spline on wheel side.
The CLK BS 27 spline hub fits stock 124 wheel bearing.

But are the 27 spline 140 and 27 spline CLK BS the same size? And is the 140 axle the same length as 124 axle?

If so, the best combo to me looks like:
210 mm 129 diff case
Wavetrac or qualfie
140 axles
CLK BS flanges