View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I transferred planes there back in the seventies when I took Icelandic air to europe. I think it was night. The airport looked swedish with all 90 degree angles and beautiful simple wood finishes.
If that was Keflavik I've been there too. I flew Icelandic air two and from Luxemborg when I first visited the USA in 93. Don't remember anything except a most hairy landing when we broke cloud and I was convinced we were about to land in the sea. Just as the it looked like we were at wave top height there was the land and then we touched down. Interesting experience to say the least. But this was the beginning of March so saw nothing once we'd landed except the inside of the transit lounge as the fog was so thick you couldn't even see the full length of the aircraft outside the terminal windows.

On the return trip, end of May you could see stuff. Very green fields as I recall but didn't see any of the really awesome scenery the country is famous for.

As for the women. Our aircrew was all female on the trip to the US. Including the pilots. I well remember the two air hostesses working coach back where I was sitting. Blond Ragenhidur and Brunette Sigurdsdottir. I remember they removed their shoes as soon as they got up to serve and this is apparently a common Icelandic practice as shoes are never worn in the house.

I would also like to visit the place properly. My wife and I both love geology. She has her degree in it. And it's literally a place where the mid Atlantic ridge pokes above the oceans surface and plate tectonics occurs right before your eyes.

- Peter.
1981 240D 4spd stick. 347000 miles. Deceased Feb 14 2021
2002 Kia Rio. Worst crap on four wheels
1981 240D 4spd stick. 389000 miles.
1984 123 200
1979 116 280S
1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1971 108 280S