View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 03:28 PM
mercifiknow

Complete Restoration Advice of my 1970 W114 250C

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1970 W114 250C and I’ve been working on it off and on for the better part of 3 yrs now fixing some things. The rocker panels are rusted out (completely) and that’s the extent of the rust on the car that is glaring. I’m not foolish enough to think that there isn’t more but that’s what I’ve seen so far. So now to the topic at hand.

I’m wanting to restore it back to the original show room floor condition as much as possible. Not worth it, I know but this is my project and I like the car. Anyways, I want to start somewhere but not real sure where to begin as I don’t want to completely disassemble this as I know there are some things I cannot do as I don’t have the talent or ability (handicap with severe mobility restrictions essentially since birth from rheumatoid arthritis) and will need to go to a shop here in town for completing. For instance body work will have to be done by a shop as well as engine work/cleaning. So this will be a rolling restoration (don’t plan on driving it much and is garage kept).

Where would you start? I’m thinking engine bay. I know my windshield washer system isn’t working and would be a somewhat quick fix/restore. So finding parts might be the only thing that might be an issue. So in this particular case the pump would be the part that might give me a headache. Where does one find what came on these cars originally? Is there forum that has this info? I have the build sheet from Mercedes Classic Car Center.

I figure I will do as much as I can to to help mitigate the cost before it goes to a professional shop to finish it. My thoughts are to do rear axle/wheels/brakes same for front and as much as I could in the engine bay. Of course this may not be a lot if money in the grand scheme of things either. I was thinking that the cost to restore would be in the $30-$35,000 range if I paid someone.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!