View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz Dr. View Post
I only recognize real ACCCA as being true Classics.
The only automotive related hit is the Arizona division of the Classic Car Club of America started in 1952. They even have a very restricted list of approved cars. I suspected you would be referring to an elitist club.

http://www.classiccarclub.org/pdfs/2018%20CCCA%20List%20of%20Approved.pdf

Sure, the club can decide what cars they want to accept but that does not make them the global authority even though they registered the words " CCA Full Classics ".

Long ago the AACA Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) - An Introduction To AACA | About AACA recognized that newer cars must be added to the fold otherwise membership would drop off.

Quote:
The demonstrated flexibility of the classification system, tuned to the times, has been essential to achieving this growth.

In 1953 early Model A Ford cars were included in a new Class 18, "Antique Cars w/four-wheel brakes." No major changes occurred until February, 1957, when a new automotive definition and class was introduced, "Class 20 - Production Cars, 1930 to 25 years of age. In 1959 the 1928-1931 Model A's were pulled from Classes 18 and 20, and placed into their own class. In 1960, Production car and truck classes were frozen, with a 1935 cutoff date. A 1948 cutoff date was established for Classic cars.

These rules remained basically unchanged until 1968, when a new rule was introduced, which allowed expansion by one year every other year. Then, the July-August, 1974 issue of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE announced the inclusion of vehicles 25 years old and older into the classifications, effective February 1, 1975. This rule continues in effect today.

During ensuing years, separate classes were implemented to separate Ford V-8 cars, Chevrolet Corvettes, Ford Thunderbirds, Ford Mustangs, 1955-57 Chevrolets, and others. New categories were developed for "specifically named Prestige cars" and "Limited Production and Prototype vehicles". In 1988 the Historical Preservation of Original Features (HPOF) class was implemented, and has proven to be very popular. Today, Drivers Participation vehicles dot the showfield, providing ample opportunity for car lovers to be a big part of AACA.

We’ve grown with the times and while we still love to polish brass, there is room for every automotive interest in AACA.

The irony of all of this is the CCA was formed when the AACA would not allow late 20's / early '30s cars in their shows as they were considered too modern and only begrudgingly let them in as class 19 as " Tow cars " ( see my prior post about " Used cars " ) Classic Car Club of America ? Mission & History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz Dr. View Post
The problem with going only on the age of the car is that eventually 2018 cars will be called classics 25 years from now. It dumps all old cars into the same box when they're clearly not all the same.

To some extent the CCA does some of this wildly different cars in one box now, they mix mid teen and pre 41/ 48 cars in with high end late 20's / early '30s when there are really 3 distinct eras of cars.

The general public is going to use antique , classic , historic interchangeably and that's just fine. I'm sure an audiophile would scoff at the general public using generic terms but the person driving 300 miles today just wants something different than listening to the engine moanin' out his one note song.

In 1995 I bought Mom a 1991 Dodge Spirit, she still has the car and at 27 years it is considered an antique by most. I see it as a 91 Dodge Spirit in nice survivor condition.

A few times, older guys have looked at the car and smiled remembering their younger days. . . and ain't dat da point?