View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Empty Pool - Equipment ?

I have a home in Panama with a glass tile pool. Its my first pool. I am learning about pools on the fly, hampered somewhat by language barriers.

Found a leak on Sat at the pool main drain pipe exiting the pool to the pump house and it was necessary to drain the pool to make a repair. (Panama..... someone neglected to glue that fitting 9 years ago.....at least it made the silly repair easy).

The pool is a 2M x 10M lap pool that in effect is an above ground concrete structure on the side of a hill. The tile on the floor of the pool currently has little or no bond and I am considering letting the pool sit empty until late January when I could demo and replace it. I don't have time this trip. My profession is the installation of tile and I have a through understanding concerning that part of the pool.

My question concerns the pool equipment itself. Is there anything that would be detrimental to that equipment leaving the system off for a few months? Everything here is plumbed with PVC pipe and ball valves. There's a pump, a plastic filter tub full of #20 sand, various paper type filters, and a PureWater electrical thing with copper/silver plates. Its all off but still currently charged with water.

Panama is a hot, humid environment and everything here grows fast. I could either drain the pump house completely, leave it charged and boost the chlorine or acidity in an attempt to dissuade algae growth, or refill the pool and empty it again at a later date.

What should I do.

09' E320 Bluetec 77k (USA)
09' Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel 48k (S.A.)