View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 PM

So you didn't buy a fully functioning car: you bought a car that needed a head gasket replacement, which is a 10-15 hour job, plus parts - too big of a $bottom line$ for most non-enthusiasts. With SoCal indy prices, that makes your $3200 vehicle more like $4500, and that is assuming you simply replaced the gasket and head bolts, and did not do any prudent work while the head was off (machining, valves, valve stem seals, valve guides, etc).

It will cost you upwards of $2000 to get the AC system rebuilt to where it will even operate as it did when new - not that their output when new is even adequate. Having owned 123 and 124 vehicles for years and living in Los Angeles, it is clear to me that the AC systems in these cars are barely up to the task of battling the brutal sun in the concrete jungle of West LA. It is even worse in the IE.

For perspective, I have a fully custom and converted R134 system in my W123 - every component and hose replaced, the biggest R134 parallel flow condenser that will fit in front of the radiator (W140 600SEL part), huge aux fan, and a rebuilt ACC unit.

I have a completely stock R12 system in my W124.

Both work as well as when they rolled off the factory line. Neither system cools as well as my completely stock 1995 Ford Econoline with 200K and (no service since 2010 except for new Schrader valves).

A $4000 Buick, Prius, Camry, Avalon, Civic, etc can be had with similar mileage, will consume less fuel, have ice-cold air, and have none of the problems an older Merc develops out of the blue. Does your daughter like being late to class or work while waiting for a tow on the side of the freeway in 105 F temps?

No one, including me, is bagging on you - just trying to help you consider all the possible outcomes is all. Glad she likes the car now and hope she learns to love it and its impending issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFini View Post
Thanks for following up; she loves the car and I have first dibs on it when she outgrows it.

Other than the cracked oil pan from taking speed bumps too fast and the AC being barely adequate in the face of 100+ degree weather (neither of which we can blame on the car), the only major issue has been a head gasket replacement, which we knew was coming when we bought it.

I can't recall how we found him, but care and feeding is being provided by Kevin at Inland Mercedes Service in Riverside, and we couldn't be happier with either his technical abilities or his bedside manner.

Best Regards,
Rob

1987 300TD Smoke Silver
Euro headlights, thermostat relocation, coolant bypass mod, rebuilt Becker + Jehnert + Helix audio, OEM Oris roof boxes and surfboard racks, Euro towbar

1983 300TD Reed (Moss) Green / Dark Olive MB Tex Euro spec

1983 300TD Silver Blue / Blue cloth Euro spec, OM648 and 722.6, 15" hubcaps, W126 S2 brakes