View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 10:54 AM

I just came back from my shed where I just happen to have a spare Ponton 220S engine and the M130 2.8 engine block and head I removed from my '72 250. Both engine blocks measured about 25.7 inches from the rear mating surface to the front. The M130 2.8 has the threaded holes at the front that should accept the Ponton motor mount brackets.
(On the '72 250 the holes are used to fasten the power steering pump, alternator bracket and front engine shock absorber.) As for the manifolds, I don't have mine handy so, you'll need to do your own interhange research. I don't know if your 220 Solex carbs will fit the 2.8 manifolds and I don't think those Solexes will work properly on the larger displacement engine. The later 220S/230S used Zenith carbs like my 250 so maybe you could use the 2.8 Zenith carbs on a later 220S/230S manifold.

You'll have other issues to work out such as
exhaust pipes, coolant plumbing and choice of transission. Most M130 2.8s sold in North America were fitted with automatic and I dont think that trans will fit in the Ponton tunnel. You could get lucky and find one of the few late '60s M130s with a manual trans.

Happy Motoring, Mark