View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Now that engine bay is really clean.

After sitting as long as that engine did. Eleven years is a fair stretch. Just some usage should further improve it. I found the driving experience between the older 114/115 and the 123 types somewhat different.

My perception was in favor of the earlier models in some ways. To me at least. Not as much feeling like being on a softer couch.

Another again just personal perception was the lighter engines and transmissions seem to favor these chassis designs better. At least from the handling perspective.

A lot to do with this is perhaps just the way I drive. As you get more weight forward they seem to respond to that as a heavier car to me. Yes I know they are heavier but the change observed by me is more than I would expect.

This is nothing new in reality when it came to their products. My 1962 gas fintail was very front tire sensitive. I never experimented with the 114s or 123s. That fintail would under steer until I found the right tires for it.

Although I have to include I probably drove in a far more aggressive way more than fifty years ago. All things considered I think I would like heavier sway or stabilizer bars in the 123s. When it has the five cylinder turbo and automatic transmission.

I doubt any heavier version of the front sway bar is available. Perhaps the back one from a 123 station wagon would help a little. I have heard it is stronger. To me the front one is the primary issue though. You do not seem to lose traction with reduced load transfer on the front ends when cornering.

I probably will add stronger shock absorbers to the 1984 300d when I get around to really going through it. It is a pretty good example with an indicated 160K miles. Many things seem to indicate it may even be true.

At the same time in all fairness I have never returned an old 123 5 cylinder turbo back to its like new condition suspension wise. Plus they are thirty plus years old now. I just have a feeling that some of their earlier chassis versions handled better at least to me.

Why I prefer the 240d with a manual transmission in the 123 chassis . When on the surface it seems illogical is also an opinion shared by others. If there is a total combined reason it still eludes me.

Last edited by barry12345; 09-19-2018 at 02:00 PM.