View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissanceman View Post
1987 300D.

Pretty much Kerosene =/= Kerosene -- I wanted to make that clear in case someone has a bunch in the barn and started getting ideas.
Well, you kinda got me.

If a given fuel meets the spec of #1 diesel, then it meets the spec for kero, but kero can be called kero while not meeting the spec for #1 diesel. Kero has no cetane spec, no lubricity spec, and a much higher sulfur percentage allowed. If you buy at the hardware store for $8/gal, you got me, no clue what trash you're getting in the gallon jug.

In practice, in any kind of quantity that people are going to dump in their car in any kind of potentially harmful amount, kero and #1 diesel are the same. Ain't no one stockpiling and tanking and transporting an entirely different stream when the specs overlap and the price is similar. Yeah the stuff you buy at the hardware store for $8/gal will be different than #1 diesel, you got me there. I wouldn't run a tank of that without a lubricity additive and cetane booster either. Anything bulk? #1 diesel and kero, same same.

What's ironic is that the sulfur content of the fuel is what makes kerosene stink. #1 diesel has a much lower allowable sulfur content, and a flash point and energy density in the right range for kero. That lower sulfur content means that for many applications, it would be better "kerosene" than kerosene.