View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 07:22 PM
ttownthomas

Researching naturally aspirated performance M103's. Looking for facts (or rumors)

Disclaimer: I am considering attempting to rebuild/recreate a performance M103. I want to do it because I like to learn and not because I think it will be a good financial investment. I know I will loose money. I know i could buy a faster car and not go through all this trouble but what fun is that. I have also thought about doing a turbo build instead because I know I probably can't even get to 250 horsepower out of a naturally aspirated 3.2ish liter m103. Hopefully this disclaimer will defray some of the "this is stupid" commentary. I know its stupid.

With that being said: I am looking for information about performance M103's.

Here is what I think I have picked up so far about the AMG 3.2:

-The M103 2.6 is the base engine for the AMG 3.2 engine. (same bore as the 3.0)
-It may have been stroked by using the crank from a MB 3.5 Diesel (OM603)
Question:By my math that would give it 3100cc's so that crank "fact" may be a rumor.
-It had lightweight pistons and a proprietary AMG cam.
-I am assuming that it had the head ported and had different valve springs and probably lightened rockers.

Was there a 3.4 AMG m103?

I think there was a 3.0 AMG too?

I also know Brabus made a bored and stroked 3.6 that has a reputation for eating head gaskets.

Are there modern grinds available or shops in the USA that know how to work these engines?

Last edited by ttownthomas; 10-15-2018 at 08:21 PM.