View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 01:44 PM
https://fintail.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterABC View Post
Can an automatic transmission oil cooler be used as an oil cooler if you have a car with manual transmission? My W112 has a trans cooler under the radiator. But it doesn't have any fins or anything and I don't know how big the capacity is...
If you mean the section in the lower tank of the radiator as on most Mercedes radiators, it could be used for oil cooling, but it wouldn't be adequate because the inlet and outlets are too small to have good flow, and routing the hoses to it would be awkward. It would also be a cooled by hot coolant.

If you mean a separate transmission cooler that mounts under the car, it may work, but still probably wouldn't work as well as having one mounted to the side of the radiator and might be awkward.

I'll probably either end up using a W110 190/200(D) radiator with a W108 oil cooler on the side, have a thicker and more efficient core put in the W110 radiator, and then get a W108 radiator and swap out the oil cooler mounting bracket onto the W110 radiator. Then maybe have the filler neck of the radiator turned 180 degrees so the overflow tube can attach to the hose going to the expansion tank.

Maybe have a radiator cap on both the radiator and the expansion tank, or cut off part of a tank off another radiator and braze it to make a filler delete.

Or, I'll have something custom made, but would rather have it look like the car was made like this. I want to make a car that Mercedes didn't, but should have, made, in the way they would have made it. Even though it will be very custom, I want it to appear stock.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles