View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercifiknow View Post
I have 2 keys. One is black Plastic (I think) around the big end and the other key is metal. They both work in the ignition and i can't remember if they work on the glove box (i'll try it later..this is what happens when you near the half century mark!). Was there a separate one for the glove box? I didn't have a lockable gas cap that said Mercedes or the Star symbol either. Did they normally come with lockable gas cap?
By 1970 MB went to a single key for ignition, doors, glovebox, trunk. There is not a locking gas cap for a W114 that I'm aware of. The metal vs. plastic is just whatever key blank was used, original might have been plastic and you can get new plastic heads that wear out after a couple years and you replace them again. There is probably a separate key blank that exists that is for "valet" - it will have a slightly different keyway and will not fit in the glovebox or trunk, but will fit in the ignition and doors. The cut of the key is the same, it's just that the pattern of the key is slightly different.

As someone else posted, if your car has 2 doors it's a 250C and if it has 4 doors it's a 250.