View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 08:07 PM
190E clutch replacement. Any tips?

Has anyone replaced a clutch in a 190E? On the weekend I noticed that the clutch in my 2.3 5-speed has just started to slip slightly at full throttle. It also disengages with very little pedal travel. Pressumably it has worn beyond the limit (I will make up a the test gauge shown in the Haynes manual to confirm this). Reading through the procedure to replace the clutch, it appears to be awkward due to restricted space around the transmission (access to bell housing bolts). It also states that it may not be possible to leave the slave cylinder with the car (meaning separating the hydraulic line which necessitates pressure bleeding on re-installation). The entire exhaust system also needs to be removed prior to removing the transmission. If the crankshaft rear main oil seal is leaking then the starter motor and flywheel must be removed before the seal can be replaced. Sounds like I've got some unplanned work ahead of me. Disappointing considering I have only driven the car 4,000km. It has covered a total of 215,000km though.

Has anyone done this job before? Can you comment on any aspects of the job that require special tools? Are there any tips worth observing to simplify the procedure? The only transmission removal and replacement I have done on a Mercedes previously was the auto on my 107, and that was awkward from memory.
107.023: 350SLC, 3-speed auto, icon gold, parchment MBtex (sold 2012 after 29 years ownership).
107.026: 500SLC, 4-speed auto, thistle green, green velour.
124.090: 300TE, 4-speed auto, arctic white, cream-beige MBtex.
201.028: 190E 2.3 Sportline, 5-speed manual, arctic white, blue leather.
201.028: 190E 2.3, 4-speed auto, blue-black, grey MBtex.
201.034: 190E 2.3-16, 5-speed manual, blue-black, black leather.