View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
General motors to totally close the Oshawa,Ontario plant up here in Canada. If so this is going to have a signifigant impact on that area. There are parts manufacturers locally there as well that serviced that plant.

GM might be getting into major trouble as assembly quality was very good. Yet if the product was bad by engineering design then it would not matter much.
Yep. They are "unallocating" the plant near me. They build the Cruze. Its a massive complex too, some 6 million square feet or something. I worked there briefly. Saw it go from 3 shift down to 1 just recently. Some 2,500 jobs will be gone. I already know of at least three other companies that will be closing as a result.

GM was one of the last large scale employers in my area. Now all that is left are call center jobs and a new distribution center that is being built still.

Rumor from some people at the plant is that they are deallocating the cruze. which then means the lordstown plan will have no car to build. They will do that until the contracts are negotiated in October. So from May to Oct they won't have a car to build. During that time all the guys with seniority will quit/take a buy out/transfer. SO when they start back up again, they have to hire new people at a lower wage.

Sure will suck to see another big facility like that go out. In the 70-90s, I think the Delphi/Packard Electric Systems was even larger, employing some 20K+ people making all of the wiring bits. They are gone too, only the R&D facility is left.

(4/11/2020: Hi Everyone! I am still taking orders and replying to emails/PMs/etc, I appreciate your patience in these crazy times. Stay safe and healthy!)

82 300SD 145k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k