View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 10:06 AM
...like a shield of steel

Hubcap ID help req'd please

G'day Folks,

I've been playing silly buggers - bought a set of hubcaps sight unseen because the seller said their outer diameter was 41.5cm

For those who may not know 41.5cm is a magic number when it comes to metal hubcaps - that's the outer diameter width of the rare 15 inch wheel hubcaps

The problem is that the larger hubcaps - that are still available new from Mercedes (!) - are super expensive. When I saw these on offer I thought it was well worth the gamble just to see if they are likely to fit - or (more probably) if they can be adapted to fit 15 inch wheels...

...so here they are=>

The number of slots in the circumference make me think these are for 13 inch wheels - all the pictures I've seen on the interweb of the 15 inch wheels look just like the 14 inch version but bigger - similar slot design around the circumference too

Note also the gucci little hole for the valve stem

However, the overall diameter is indeed 41.5cm (as sold) and they are noticeably larger than the 14 inch hubcaps of which I have man many examples =>

^^^^^^^14 inch hubcap on the left^^^^^^^^

The 14 inch hubcaps have a shallow dish =>

Whilst the "unknown" hubcaps look like something Madonna might have worn on her "Blond Ambition Tour"

The strangest thing is that if they are 13 inch hubcaps these do indeed seem a bit wide =>

^^^^^Again 14 inch hubcap on the left^^^^^

#######

So this is a question for the Vintage section:

Does anyone have the dimensions of a thirteen inch hubcap for me?

Can anyone help ID what I've been and gone and bought?
Attached Thumbnails
Hubcap ID help req'd please-1981-w123-hubcap-comparrison1.jpg   Hubcap ID help req'd please-1981-w123-hubcap-comparrison2.jpg   Hubcap ID help req'd please-1981-w123-hubcap-comparrison3.jpg   Hubcap ID help req'd please-1981-w123-hubcap-comparrison4.jpg   Hubcap ID help req'd please-1981-w123-hubcap-comparrison5.jpg  

1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!