View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
Good tip to know, thanks. The FSM says very little about reinstalling the Spacer Ring. It does mention 2 types of MB sealer to use on the outside lip of the Seal. They are probably nothing exotic. I think I read somewhere that Blue RTV is a good substitute.
You are welcome.

I only use RTV in corners of valve covers / oil pans and not on seals.

If the seal you are installing has a rubber OD, I use a bit of oil as lube since in effect you are installing a o ring. However, MB might be more or less gluing the seal in place to prevent it from vibrating out.

Also when installing, be aware that some parts don't have a bottom lip on the seal bore allowing the seal to be pushed all the way through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
While we are at it, what would you recommend using on the Water Pump Gasket, to be used sparingly. Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket #3?
Yep, this is the stuff. It stays somewhat pliable after drying. The gasket shellac in a small brown bottle drys kind of brittle so I tend not to use it. There are also some similar Permatex sealants in a tube that I tend not to use either because they are too thick.

When using the #3 , just a thin coat works fine. Too much acts like grease and the gasket can split / push out. The goal with the sealer is to take care of small seepy leaks as used surfaces tend to get corroded. The gasket is there to take care of large leaks. Many times the factory does not use anything.