Thread: Hey Tom W....
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 02:12 PM
roflmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I have always liked S2000s. I really wanted one before settling on the Miata. I did test drive one and found it to feel a lot like a Miata until you hit 6000 rpm and held it down until the 9000 rpm redline. The burst of power when the VTEC comes in is always a good rush!

The Cobra is very fast (but raw). The refinement of the S2000 is hard to beat.

In first second and third you have to be careful with the throttle as wheelspin is always on hand should you wish it or be a little sloppy with the right foot.

The steering in the Cobra is pin sharp though and actually may feel better than any car I have driven....well not any sharper than the Formula Ford.

Oh yes, the S2000 is one of a handful of cars (in 60 years of looking at them) which I cannot find any design element which I would rather see done differently.

Oh yes, what jokes about VTEC? You won't find them here, I love it.
I've had an NB Miata, and the S2000 feels like the Miata.... Just more refined. The power roof, the extra HP/RPM, the transmission, the steering - it's all just a little bit more polished. I've never driven a MazdaSpeed MX5, but I imagine it's pretty close to the S2000.

The S2000 is car we could daily pretty easily all year here in CA... The clutch is light enough to not be offensive, it has enough power without hitting vtec to poodle around town with, and has light steering at low speeds.

I think the engineers at Honda who worked on the S2000 started with the drivetrain and suspension, then stretched a body around it. All of the lines are firm and taught, like most Italian cars. The driver focused control are pretty neat too!

And vtec on that little 2 liter! Man oh man, there's something special about winding out those gears and letting that engine sing. I've got a cold air intake on it, and vtec sounds lovely under full load.

Sounds like your Cobra can be (or is) a handful... If you need a hand taming it, I may be able to offer my services! I'm pretty good at doing burnouts and catching snap-oversteer!

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.