View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM

I tend to take what Kent has to say with a grain of salt. The Diesel Purge claims he makes are WAY overblown IMHO. If you have goop in the IP that's causing issues, sure it can help. Otherwise, it's a good way to blow $15 without having a thing to show for it (I've never personally had it make any appreciable difference in my vehicle, despite having some truly horrible looking stuff come back in the return line).

I decided to give this "veggie purge" of his a go in my SDL since I already had a can of MoS2 sitting on the shelf, a spare gallon of clean Wesson, and a 1 gallon bottle laying around. Why not? It's well documented that my SDL's engine is not a picture of health, and it sat in a field for 10 years abandoned, so it should be a good example of his "tuneup in a can" claims.

I started on diesel and let the engine warm up for a few mins, then switched to the disgusting black cocktail, mixed exactly as he showed in the video. Engine was NOT happy, it rocked, surged, loped, and missed for a good 15 minutes or so until it finally smoothed out. Idle still hunted quite a bit, but it ran and quietened down significantly as you'd expect when running on veg oil. For the record, my car has never been happy running on veg oil.

3 1/2 hours later (not 2 like he claims) I was finally out of the veg oil blend and results were somewhat encouraging. The engine was quiet, it was running smoothly, blowby from the cap was minimal (though it was low to begin with) and tailpipe smoke was almost nonexistent. I switched back over to diesel and let it run another 20-30 mins and other than having the normal diesel chatter, it was running the same as it was on the veg oil blend.

Anyone who knows anything about being methodical and scientific knows that anecdotal evidence is immediately dismissed as a result. To me, for Kent's idea to hold any merit, my car should run noticeably better when cold-started the following day and the results I saw from the "veggie purge" should stick around.

The next morning...
Cold started the engine, exactly the same as normal. Absolutely no change whatsoever.

Am I surprised? Not at all. I thought it was BS from the moment I saw that video and my results only solidify that thought more concretely. The only reason I did it was because I had the time, I had the space, I had the materials, and the car is up on jackstands anyway getting the suspension rebuilt. If I got some results, great, if not, at least someone tried it!

If you have an extra bottle of MoS2 and a gallon Wesson you want to dispose of in a time consuming manner, the "Veggie Purge" is a way to do it. Just don't expect miracles and don't fall for the hype of "engine rebuild in a can".

Black Sheep:
1985 524TD 167K (TotalDumpster™)

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 300SDL (RIP)
1991 350SD
1991 560SEL
1990 560SEL
1986 500SEL Euro (Rusted to nothing at 47K!)