View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 06:37 PM
I miss my MBZ

617 seizes then starts 45 mins later (???)

Hey all,
this one has me really cornfused.
so I replaced the injector nozzles, adjusted the valves (they were wayy out...) and pulled the timing chain tensioner on my '82 300Dt. The thing started (after I recharged the battery) and I was going to drive it to my 'work' shop about 4 miles away. Previously it had been making a metallic 'clack'-ing noise that I figured was bad injector nozzles.

it only made it about one mile. The was was running ok (idling a bit funny) and about a half mile from my apt the engine stopped- siezed kinda (it stopped abrubptly, quicker than if you press the "stop" button under the hood).
It was locked up, I took a 27mm to the crank and it did nothing, nor was the starter any good.

So I walked home, and called my bro, and rusty (today's price: $920... for a new head w/ valve guides only...) and got in my Corrado and headed back out there.
I pulled the valve cover, and saw nothing funny. nothing broken, chain was all there..hmm... I hit the starter and it turned over. HHHmmmmm..
I put the valve cover back on and fired it up. it ran...kinda rough....no funny noises....but I stayed cautious.
after idling for about 2mins, it stopped again, just as abrupt as before- the starter could not budge it.
oil pressure has been >3 bar the whole time.

So i guess my question is ? would a new timing chain and tensioner fix this ? The car is >150k old, not sure what the PO did for it. I have no idea (other than timing things) that would cause a motor to "seize" (okay, it turned later...but what it seized, it didnt budge by my 27 or the starter) and then turn over and run ok later.

If it is the timing chain, what are the chances that things are bent inside the head. Is inspecting the head/valves something I can do myself ? (I know I can pull the head myself)

Any ideas ?

-John
(insert Mercedes here)

Husband, Father, sometimes friend =)