Thread: Belt Dressing
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Belt dressing will make things worse, it goes on wet then drys to a gloss that is semi slipery.

Soap might make it quiet but won't fix a slipping problem , don't use it.

Properly tighten the belt + replace it if cracks are appearing.

Actually if a car in the day developed a squeal when far away from home with no tools. Using just bar face soap rubbed on the vee portion of the belt stopped it. Did not see any issue with charging. Actually the initial squeal is usually because the alternator is perhaps being asked to produce more current initially. Or is resisting acceleration. Logically you would think it would be worse with the soap for slippage. Glycerine may be a rubber softener. Anyways this was not considered as a permanent fix. Usually I adjusted the belt at the first opportunity. Or did what was required.

Also rather than belt cracks because these cars may have sat for some time.I guess this depends on the region you are in. I am in the rustbelt.

I have found that any rust on the pulley surface where it contacts the belt. Can reduce the belts cross sectional area. So clean it up if present. Basically the pulleys are eating the belts.

I do not think this is created by a loose belt. More perhaps as the belt lifts out and enters the pulleys. The rust is abrasive to the belt rubber. Another thing to watch out for is a belt that has just worn down and is hitting the bottom of the vee in the pulley. Or cracks on the inside of the belt indicate the belt may break as mentioned in an earlier post.

All belts should be inspected for cracks and wear periodically.

Belts also stretch a little in initial use.I have found that I have had to retention them tighter again not long after installation many times.

I think it was a 240 of mine. I got the right belt I believe. Or at least it was supposed to be. To me it was running too deep in the pulleys. So I just went out and selected a good sae sized utility belt that had a larger cross section. The top of that utility belt was level with the top of the pulleys.