View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 08:26 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsinner111 View Post
Or cut off,the affected pipe,and reweld? I have a sears 110 welder,wire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsinner111 View Post
welder
It looks like your welder is a gass-less MIG in your picture

So I guess you are using flux coated wire - this isn't that far removed from stick welding. I imagine it is quite a difficult thing to use on thin low quality exhaust metal. I've welded similar things before with MMA / stick and I find whilst I can "get it to stick" (as in stay on there) it isn't the best solution for a long term fix. This is the kind of thing that might be necessary to get you through a safety inspection but realistically it is much closer to a temporary fix.

The problem you will find is that keeping the area clean before and during welding is a challenge - you can just blat more and more metal on top but even then it is quite likely it will just crack and fall off.

You would probably have an easier time with gas shielded welding - especially after you've been learning and struggling with the system you've got - but the price hike in equipment and consumables is considerable.

Personally I'd just take the sodding thing to an exhaust shop and get them to replace the rusted / broken bit as I hate working on exhausts! At the best of times (used) exhausts are nasty vindictive bastards - they cut and leave nasty soot in wounds that itches and itches and itches...

...I've replaced entire systems before just to avoid the pain!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!