View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 11:42 AM

Exhaust temperature is only moderate on a diesel I think. So this probably was a reasonable approach. It reminded me that I have not had a rusted out exhaust component occur on a car for a lot of years.

Part of a badly bent up one of the wives car got replaced. In the last few weeks though.

You can semi determine the condition of an exhaust system here by the amount of rust on the exterior of the parts. It was noticeable in the south. That the outside of the pipes remained rust free pretty much. So there would be no way to estimate their real used condition. Or probably remaining service life. Since they rust out from the inside only I surmised.

I just really just posted to mention. I know there is a dedicated muffler cement on the market and has been for a very long time. How good it is I have no ideal. Welding is usually a lost cause as the area of metal near the weld tends to oxidize very fast.

A small future project I have. Is to weld up a box etc. To act as a muffler for the emergency power generator. With a removable lid so I can change the glass fibers out. That generator is somewhat loud. Glass pack type mufflers work better than baffle configurations for those I understand.