Thread: relative values
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrockhound View Post
The scenario I've been envisioning goes something like this: Self-driving cars eventually get so good that they're fault-free, meaning they either don't get into accidents or if they do, it's the fault of a human driver in the other vehicle. Insurance companies stop ensuring human-driven cars except for a ridiculously high premium. Maybe some states or municipalities even outlaw analog cars, or put higher taxes or license fees on them. People do the math and give up their analog cars out of sheer economics. Eventually a combination of laws, high insurance premiums, and inavailability of good gasoline sidelines most cars built before, say, 2020 or so. (Cars built after that will be retrofittable to self-driving if they didn't have it already). You're only able to operate your analog car off road, at the track, in parades, and maybe on some rural roads. The analog car market collapses, with run-of-the-mill cars being close to worthless (similar to used console pianos today), and "collectible" cars being reasonably priced but inoperable (no place to drive them, no gas to put in them, no one to work on them). Only the very top tier of cars (like some of those mentioned in the previous post) still has any collector value, but they're only operated by super rich guys in special closed venues, kind of like country clubs, but for cars.

Enjoy the future, everyone!
Man, i hope this is not the case. If so, then maybe only in Silicon Valley or in those places where nobody appreciates driving and more appreciates all their electronics. I say, let them sit in their self-drive, autonomous taxis plodding along in, hopefully, the slow lane in a nice cadence with the rest of the lemmings...staring at their screens; i highly doubt they'll be enjoying the scenery.

Me, I can't wait to have some open road without distracted, idiotic drivers causing accidents. I am constantly reminded of the movie we watched when my kids were younger, Wall-E. For those who have seen it, it feels like we're all heading that way - totally unable to "do" anything for ourselves and instead just "ordering it up". Honestly though, I do worry that there will no longer be that special indy/mechanic who can help with the older & classic cars when we're in a bind and this may be the demise of many classics but also the reason why I bought a w108 with a 2.8 inline six. For one, i could easily curl up next to the engine because there is so much room to work and two, while I am partially mechanically skilled and by no means really good at it... i am trying hard to get better at it (thanks to youtube) because keeping classics on the road is a great reminder of how cool cars used to be... cool to drive, cool to look at, cool to cruise and 50yr old leather... mmmm, smells so good and not like chemicals. Cars today are generic and lack style. Case in point, a C43 AMG (really? and it looks like every other C class); Hellcat (powerful yes, stylish um, no) & what is really the difference between a Cayenne, Audi Q5 and VW Toureg, nada. Ok; i have enjoyed reading & replying to this post... now, GET OFF MY LAWN you damn kids!!!!