View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubyagee View Post
Free market will step in if the demand is there.
Too many on this list cry about parts pricing but none have stepped up to have parts remade at lower cost.

Others cry that MB is greedy and won't make parts for 40 year old cars. ( Gee, if they were really " greedy " don't you think they would make profitable parts that are supposedly in demand? )

One person made a big fuss that the dealer didn't have special tools to change a wheel bearing on hand for their 40 + year old car ! !

I've called many of these people to task but they run for the shadows. Near as I can tell , only 2 non complainers have recently made parts. One was the metal head key guy that got a quick lesson on manufacturability / costing and another person that made a small batch of window sliders.

The window slider guy says that the small batch will be the last. What complainer will pick up making these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB140300SD View Post
Try to buy radiator for a SDL, or how about an vin coded ignition cylinder for a 123, 124, and maybe 126 as well. Need to replace your vacuum pods? Many of those are NLA. I could go on and on.
What would you pay for these items?

If demand is high enough, parts will be remade. Perhaps it is time to start a thread of parts that have gone NLA / what a remade part should cost / people that are willing to remake them.

As for the rad, look towards a can make fit or a custom aluminum unit. Ig cylinder, move towards pulling the pins and hiding a kill switch somewhere. Vac pods , move towards adapting something else or even a few cables for manual operation.