View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Near as I can tell , only 2 non complainers have recently made parts. One was the metal head key guy that got a quick lesson on manufacturability / costing and another person that made a small batch of window sliders.

The window slider guy says that the small batch will be the last. What complainer will pick up making these?
The small batch of sliders I made for sale was what was left over after fitting my car and gifting sets to friends with W126's. The intent was never to make a production item, merely to design a solution to replace the PATHETIC excuse that MB used on the LWB cars that eat the stock sliders for lunch. The left over batch had the cost tabulated to cover the raw material, postage, and my time to make them. The price seemed reasonable to me and seemed reasonable to the people who bought them, but my inbox was flooded with people whining about cost and wanting to trade parts I didn't need for cars I don't have or make deals. Sorry, Charlie, no sale.

I suspected that would be the outcome and had no intention of making another batch unless they were a hot item (one must test the waters...). I'll be happy to make sets for people I know, but they'll not be for sale again for the very reasons you mention. I did sell out of the batch I made, but it took a very long time to do and the whining about cost put me off offering any other services publicly. I do a lot of other rework on various systems and components on the 126 and 107 chassis cars, but you won't see my labor for hire here.

Even FREE is too expensive for some of the skin-flints on this forum. There was a thread running this past spring about engineering a way around the Klima relay on the diesel cars. MxFrank and I both posted schematics of how we'd do it using relays. His just used a generic ice cube similar to what many others have done in the past, mine was more of an electromechanical PCB idea to fit inside the Klima box and replicate most of the functionality of the Klima. I had people PM me asking if I'd design the card for them and specify components so they could build it themselves. Sorry folks, if you want custom labor, you're going to pay custom labor pricing (and you won't like what engineers charge per hour!).

Black Sheep:
1985 524TD 167K (TotalDumpster™)

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 300SDL (RIP)
1991 350SD
1991 560SEL
1990 560SEL
1986 500SEL Euro (Rusted to nothing at 47K!)