View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykobayashi View Post
As for demand I agree with D300. The demand is waning. Look at Craigslist and you see all the 300ds that just sit there. Only a few crazies like us want them. We are the market and nobody is getting rich serving us.
Let's just clear the air on an important topic. MB's parts support is the ONLY reason that there are so many of these cars still on the road today. Just look at the volume of 70s and 80s cars from MB still on the road and driven daily compared to literally any other manufacturer selling in North America at the time. MB sold a tiny fraction of GM/Toyota/Honda/Ford/Chrysler/VW, but look at the percentage still going compared to the rest. That alone speaks volumes about how the cars were made and how they were supported over time.

Now these cars are 30+ years old. Expecting dealer-support counter levels of product support is ridiculous. Important parts are still being made, and they're readily available in the aftermarket. If your nose is stuck in the air too high to use an aftermarket part, sell your car while you can and buy something new. Please. For all of us. If you're rolling around in a 35 year old car as your daily and only car, make sure you're hoarding parts like a crazy person.

To the guy claiming it cost $3K to rebuild his suspension - get real. That's what you'd pay a shop. Having just done it on my SDL, I shelled out around $850 for full front and rear suspension and new springs using a combination of MB, Lemforder, and quality aftermarket parts. If you're looking to spend 4x that and be a brand snob, hey, it's your money! Just don't you dare whine about the price because YOU made the decision to pay it!

Black Sheep:
1985 524TD 167K (TotalDumpster™)

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 300SDL (RIP)
1991 350SD
1991 560SEL
1990 560SEL
1986 500SEL Euro (Rusted to nothing at 47K!)