View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 02:11 PM
https://fintail.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
It would cost a million dollars because they would have to make it specially for you and nobody else. The rest of us like the idea of surviving a minor collision and appreciate impact absorbing materials, crumple zones and lots of airbags. For the most parts, sensors and computers make an easier task of diagnosing a problem.

There's nothing wrong with progress, what i take issue with is the need for so many models. coupe, convertible, sedan, wagon in C, E and CLS, then GLK, GLE, GLA, GLS, GLE Coupe?? (WTF!!). That's a lot of baggage to carry. It's as if they sold Chrysler a decade ago, and turned right around and recreated it in-house.
That's the point I was making--I'm out of luck because there aren't enough people who would still buy cars built with the same styling, simplicity, and quality, and they would need to be able to sell millions of them to keep the price affordable.

I also like the idea of surviving a minor collision. Did you know that Mercedes have been built with crumple zones since the 1960s and collapsible steering columns and deformable steering wheels since August 1967? Are you suggesting that I'll likely die in a minor collision in anything but a brand-new car?

I'm not saying that new ones should be built with no improvements in safety. I want improvements in crumple zones and other safety features, but I don't want a whole bunch of electronic gadgets I don't need, an overabundance of plastic panels and parts, and a drivetrain that's so complicated that there is no hope of diagnosing it, repairing it myself, and keeping the car for more than ten years. I also think that new cars don't really have any art appeal.

Did you decide to sell off all your vintage cars? I see so many people on this forum posting about how these old Mercedes are deathtraps and a waste of time and money, and how they hope they all get outlawed soon... all the while they still own older cars. I don't see the reasoning behind this.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles