View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Near as I can tell , only 2 non complainers have recently made parts. One was the metal head key guy that got a quick lesson on manufacturability / costing and another person that made a small batch of window sliders.

The window slider guy says that the small batch will be the last. What complainer will pick up making these?
I made Viton braided return line, but have yet to break even of the 1000m minimum order from the factory...eventually I will probably break even, though. I'd be interested in a thread on niche replacement parts -- I have an engineering intern that I need to keep busy this year, and if I can break even eventually on cost of manufacture and her time, I'll make parts given a certain (relatively low) level of demand. I don't mind floating a portion of the cost on something I'll eventually sell and recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
The left over batch had the cost tabulated to cover the raw material, postage, and my time to make them. The price seemed reasonable to me and seemed reasonable to the people who bought them, but my inbox was flooded with people whining about cost...
What were you charging for the sliders and what chassis did they fit? I might be able to pick up production. I'd probably want to make any necessary revisions for ease of manufacture internally before making a run of them, however.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, but I'm also an enthusiast, so I don't mind "donating" time occasionally to a project.

Garage:

2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel (nanny state emissions)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 77k
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300D turbodiesel, 4 sp auto, 156k - 28.7 mpg
1996 Tracker 4x4, 2 door, 16v, 3 sp auto. 113k - 28.6 mpg

WARNING: this post may contain dangerous free thinking.