View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 11:04 PM

Well, I do have to disagree with you at least as my wagon is concerned. If you look back in my threads,

85 300TD Euro... feels like its starving for fuel.

you would see that I bought it in 2012 for 1000 bucks with 223K. I spent another 1000 totally rebuilding the front end at that time. Then added a new starter, dropped the fuel tank and replaced the lines on top. Added some drop springs. rebuilt the SLS. replaced the glow plugs, the belts and a put in a steering box I already had from another part out. Also replaced the brakes and rotors and wheel bearings, oil cooler lines, engine mounds subframe bushings, (well, all the bushings) radiator and the alternator since I have owned it and it now sits with 320K today. That's 16K miles a year in the 6 years I drove it out of the 7. All the above work cost me around 700 bucks. So, cost of car 1000, Repairs over almost 7 years 1700. Enjoyment I've gotten out of it, priceless. In that time whats the car worth today. as it sits I wouldn't let it go for under 6. I've been offered 6 for it 3 separate times and laughed. (there have been times I actually thought about selling it due to life, but I just couldn't let it go) It makes me smile every time I walk past it, even with it sitting the last year as I've been gathering parts to redo it. To date it has cost me 94 Cents a day in total ownership. I spend more than that on soda. Plus I own a car that I would trust anywhere and know inside and out.

The investment, has been the experience, and I've made a fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorainfurniture View Post
My point is that cars are generally not good places to invest your money.

I currently spend way less maintaining my 518 hp e63 which is an absolute thrill to drive than my 300te. It’s mostly de- badged so people generally mistake it for a regular e class.

Honestly, yes. I am proud that in my mid thirties I can support a wife and two kids and still spend thousands on my summer car without sweating it. I have no debt either.

I’m certainly not trying to “strut” anything. If i offended anyone or made anyone feel slighted, I apologize. This thread is definitely straying ot so I’ll try and steer it back.

Anything can be kept forever. Anything. People pull rusty frames out of swamps and restore them to new. Any part can be purchased, or fabricated. It just takes money. I restore vintage stoves and I’ve never come across any part that I couldn’t have recreated or retrofitted. It just takes a mixture of imagination and money.

I guess the real question is at what point does your vintage car become too expensive to keep on the road? I believe that answer is different for everyone.