View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 11:27 PM

Normally you dont see a modern MB with over 200K on it. Let alone 400+. Why? Because you can not repair some items at home. Your key fails 1000 bucks dealer only repair. Need a tie rod replaced on a 2010, dealer wants 1500 bucks. My wife bought her car basically new, it was 6 months old. It has just over 70K on it and while it's had minor issues, it has suffered the key issue, and has the MB classic wiring issue. I cant believe that they still cant may wire insulation that last more than a couple years. Sure they are great... till they need out of warranty repair and you might as well dump it for something else and let the next sucker deal with it. they are throw away cars now. The built quality on my 2005 Volvo xc90 2.5 awd is far superior less a few known issues like a pita fuel pump placement and sunroof drains that if not fixed with 2 bucks in hose can fill the truck with water, but the running gear. it reminds me of the old MBS. the 2.5 engine can easily go 500K miles. But dont get me started on parts for it... they have way to many variations. For example the aforementioned fuel pump... there are 6. not will work in the incorrect application and 3 fit.

Here is mine getting fixed last month.....

Yes, you have to remove the entire rear interior to get to the fuel pump and sending unit...

Now, in this case a certified mechanic did this job twice, having the truck for 3 months. and couldn't get it running. The Chattanooga Volvo dealer had it a month and claimed the "fuel tank is full of rust and will need to be replaced for 2700 bucks" (the fuel tank is plastic) there was no rust in it. I bought the truck not running for 800 after this and replaced the incorrect fuel pump and drive it daily now.

All I'm saying is the average person is not going to be able to fix things like this and the car becomes a throw away.

This was not the case in 85. The car was built to last a lifetime. It was built to be the best it could be in a time right before bean counters came and removed quality engineering in the name of saving a buck. It was built so the owner could repair it. and 80% of those repairs could be performed with the tools provided in the car.

Maybe I'm romancing it. But I actually get joy out of working on the 85. and all the older w123s. Something I dont get from working on the newer cars. sure I like to solve the puzzles, but when you need a computer just to turn of an SLS light because you unplugged the seat and connected the battery to check something else.... sigh....

It does however bring be back to the original question, how much longer do people like me have. NLA parts are becoming an issue and the writing is on the wall. There are plenty of groups that would be happy to see all these older cars just fade away. But, I do think the NLA issue will be the end of more of them than legislation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
As you can see by my sig, most of the current fleet of MB's in my family are 2007 or newer....with a couple 2001's in there. (also both of which have been entirely reliable) My 420SEL has been reliable but needy.

Currently mile for mile covered, the newer MB's have been WAY more reliable than many of our old ones (W123, W126, W124) were...more expensive? Yes.

Good examples are my brother's 2009 E350, and my 2015 GLK....he has put over 43k miles on that car with no repairs needed at all....just oil changes and a normal trans service. My GLK I've had half a year and has covered 6,000+ miles with zero issues either.

The newer vehicles are much more comfortable, much better at higher speeds, and handle large quantities of miles added to them seemingly with no wear/care. I have a records book for my 420SEL that shows it was repaired dozens of times in the 20 years the previous owner had it, total repair costs were around $25-26k during that time, it broke down 3 times needing a tow, ON TOP of the 61k they paid for the car......and it only traveled 112k miles in that time. By comparison my GLK250 has covered 74,000+ miles, and has needed no repairs in its history at all, nothing beyond regular maintenance....and it still feels like new/drives like new.

Modern cars are quite complex, but if you're good with technical equipment, it can be easier to work on them.

Its also still possible to get barebones rugged MB's.....the Metris. I own one, its great. Its like a W123 turned into a van and modernized itself. Only has the features that count, indestructible interior, simple suspension, basic powertrain. It will also leave any W123 and most W126's (and even newer models) in the dust with acceleration and handling....and its commercial van! Mine is brand new and it cost about the same as your average "mid level" spec'd Odyssey or Sienna. Amazing bang for the buck.
Attached Thumbnails
when will NLA parts be the end for our cars-img_20181028_145350247%5B1%5D.jpg