View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 10:14 PM

Replacing a rear window seal-Updated

Okay I have cut the seal out and removed the rear glass on my '84 300D. Someone has been in there before as it was all gooped up with some sort of grey play-dough like caulk stuff. I have a slight bit of rust on the steel lip where the seal sits that must be dealt with. There appears to be a drain hole in the lower window channel just inside the lip on one side. I have come to some conclusions because of this hole. The rubber gasket seals the glass on one side and the metal on the other. The rubber/glass seal can be made perfect by using a little "flowable silicone" after the install as there is no way water can be trapped at this point. The lip seal on the rubber gasket that seals between the body and the gasket cannot be a perfect seal so some water must get under and run down into the channel in the bottom/back of the window. The hole that drains into the trunk must be there to drain the little bit of water that may get in. As long as this water drains off there is no way it will build up and pool causing rust or leaking past the interior rubber/metal lip seal. Since the rocket scientist that used the grey goop to seal the window also sealed up this hole the water had no way of escaping. This is obviously not good. I believe the MB designers wanted the water to drain into the trunk. They knew it would be very little water and the trunk also has drains in it. There is no way they would design a car with a trough that would fill with trapped water, that wouldn't make sense. Anyway, I am trying to remove the grey goop. Scraping with a wood paint stirrer to keep from scratching things up. I would like to get all of it off. Anyone know what solvent to use that won't hurt the paint? Thanks, RT
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K

Last edited by rwthomas1; 05-03-2003 at 08:27 PM.