View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 12:57 PM

That's not a bad price in todays world for a fuel tank and gauge. I was thinking what is possibly the easiest way to clean a fuel tank out today for the average person?

Put in a good detergent solution and let it soak then remove the gauge and output filter and go at it with a pressure washer? Fuel tanks made in the USA where constructed of tern steel since sometime in the early 50s perhaps. There is a coating on that steel although not too obvious. Probably a thin electroplated coating. Some of the earlier tanks we did appeared to be hot galvanized dipped after manufacturer.

We never ran a salvage operation. We did start each morning with about 5-10 cars that needed either the fuel tank repaired or replaced. New fuel lines or straps. Gauge issues. Plus wholesaled and retailed these items.

I had a large truck and we sourced tanks etc in Central Alabama. From auto wreckers there. In 1981 we wanted to start reproducing the high demand fuel tanks. There was a recession on and the heavy presses etc needed where available much cheaper than usual.

The bank had been watching us and proposed a huge credit line. If we stayed away from government grants etc. I tended to agree as anything they touched did not seem to do that well. So we requested protection from them funding another operation of the same type with taxpayer money. I am not the brightest but I was not going to be in a situation of competing with a heavy debt load against a paid up enterprise. If I am going to be a financial suicide case It has to be on my terms.

There were other issues that made me think. What we are experiencing overall is not good for the future of industry here. Companies with no need to are allowed to freely leave the country with the public not aware that you land up in a joint partnership in going to China. Then logically at some point you really no longer own or control it. Although your name may still remain on the buildings.

China was in reality buying the enterprises for all practical purposes. So there was no issue in my mind back then that north America was going where it is today. A sizable proportion of what is Spectra Premium today occurred with another province being Quebec buying up various operation here. With taxpayers money.

Anyways we went on to develop another related item. Then I did a lot of thinking. Do I really want this with all the complications. With over active governments in the picture? So I sold it. The only practical thing I learnt is flying below the radar and staying small enough not to attract attention is perhaps workable.

Back to the post. In my time we never had the puncture problem. Yet if a tank is basically solid. Soldering on a copper or brass patch works very well. We used heavy electric soldering irons. Welding upsets any metal treatment and the fumes are dangerous. If a person lacks the right soldering equipment or ability just take it to a radiator shop. When we were too busy we would defume and verify the large truck tanks where safe to weld on with a sticker.

We then farmed them out to a welding shop. As a general rule people should not weld on gas or fuel tanks unless they really understand all that can go wrong. It just is not worth the risk. The welding shop we periodically used. Did eventually have an explosion long after we left the business. It was not only heard a good distance away. It almost killed him.

We had a large halon gas setup in place to enable us to cut hitches off some vehicles to get the tanks off. We wore fresh air supplied masks as there was no oxygen where we were working. We never ever had a real fire issue. This particular 123 type fuel tank we never saw in those years. Although we were finished with that business when these cars were still pretty new.

Last edited by barry12345; 01-10-2019 at 01:08 PM.