View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 09:27 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
The no spring / setting preload with shims is a disaster no matter what company designed it. As noted in your other post, it does not take very much clutch wear to end up with an out of tolerance setup.

Rather than make all new plates, some shims to tighten things up would be way less $. The shims really should be hardened but since this system apparently does not see axial shock loads, a stainless shim might live. Another source for shims are thrust bearing races found in automatic transmissions. Or even off the shelf thrust / Torrington bearing races as these are in the 0.015 thick range.

Brass / bronze bonded steel ( I don't know the official name for this ) is also found on rotary piston hydraulic pumps / motors as a valve plate. If you could find material in the US, cutting this on a laser table would be easy if you have a CAD drawing.

Is it at all possible to drill pockets in the yellow splined part then stack an array of compression springs or belleville washers that press on the first internally splined plate? ( and eventually the whole stack ) Maybe some springs behind the eared disc? Maybe both of only a belleville or two will fit.
I don't know about that probably true for motor-sport applications but all the MB differentials I have seen with loss of preload s still spin both wheels from a straight launch. I would find it had to believe most of these cars have any preload after 20,000 miles.

The current differential I am working on was not taken apart for traction issues. I is simply an ASD diff that needed to be converted to non ASD as well as a junk yard diff of unknown history as well as a diff that needed to be brought to show room condition.

I just ordered a 0.020 set from McMaster unfortunately they take 2 to 3 weeks to get back. Price is not bad. I'm even having them made like on of the steel plates with the ears on them. Why not they don't charge any more for it.

I agree, the shim solution should suffice but plates should be really cheep source from China, possibly cheaper than shims from Mcmaster. In cases where the plates are worn more than mine new plates may be an option to use to avoid having to stack shims as Mcmaster only does up to 0.020". The other reason to replace the steel plates is that they don't wear evenly. Like the clutches, measure them in three places and get three different numbers.

As far as pocketing the side or using belleville, I will pass .