View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 04:06 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplem104 View Post
I just do not get why you would spend any money or time on those lsd units. They at best last for around 3 trips around the block and so you have a fairly low bias unit for a short period of time for even if you get the clutches down to free they still have to taken out and rebuilt. So why not just invest in a wavetrac or quaife unit and be done for ever?
I am coming to the same conclusion. Between the PIA to find a diff with a LSD carrier that will fit the 2.65 to 3.06 gear sets and then the fact that it really needs to be refreshed with new clutches that are NLA I certainly don't see myself doing this again. The only diff I'm aware of that had that carrier in the states was the 350SD's with ASD and those are hard to find. If the junk yard knows what he has they will be $500 + about $100 shipping. I was fortunate enough to get this one for about $350 delivered.

However for the non track minded users. Sticking a shim behind the last plate in the carrier is a no brainier while you have one apart. Even without shimming all my 107's were able to leave two even stretch marks for the 1/4 mile track. Including the junk yard unit with the 2.47 ratio I have in the car now.

But I still need to find cars with 2.82 or 3.06 gear ratios to harvest the gears form. Does anyone know what those 210mm gear sets were used in the states besides the 350 SDL. I know the 2.65 was available in the early 129's