View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Spark Free

If you look at each dealership service visit as a separate entity, then no it was not a fair value. However, you may have an opportunity to make this right in the long haul. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with 3 dealers within a reasonable distance. None of them are all that great, but I've tried at least two service advisors in each dealership, and finally have built a relationship with one I can trust. He knows that he can't BS me and he's learned to take good care of my car.

Look at the terms of your warranty contract. You should be able to do your own work provided you save receipts. I can with my new car extended warranty, which is now called Starmark (wasn't called that at the time). However, I've chosen to go to the dealer for that service and now all those visits are registered in MB's master computer system. So if I have a warranty claim there is no question.

Those two concepts came together for me recently. I took the car in for a routine service and I had one minor complaint. The transmission was a little slow downshifting to first at a short stop, such as a stop sign. I thought this might be a minor adjustment or a software problem. However, the diagnosis was the clutch packs out of spec and they completely rebuilt my transmission under warranty. No questions asked, and the tranny now works even better than when the car was new. That one incident probably paid for my extended warranty and all the extra money I've spent at the dealer for the last 3 1/2 years.

Now you have something else to consider.
2017 Nissan LEAF
Former MB: 99 E300, 86 190E 2.3, 87 300E, 80 240D, 82 204D Euro
Chain Elongation References