View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
https://fintail.org

Saving A 1965 W111 220

I have a rusted out 1967 Mercedes W110 230 Universal wagon that I want to restore, so I've been looking for a non-rusty 1967 or 1968 W111 230S sedan with a sunroof so I can make it into my dream car; a W111 sunroof turbo diesel-powered wagon. There's one that I've been interested in buying for ten years, but it's never worked out and I haven't had any success in finding the right car despite aggressive searching.

Nearly two weeks ago my membership in the Facebook fintail group was approved and I introduced myself. Someone within the group named Troy sent me a friend request and then messaged me saying that he was local and had a complete 1965 Mercedes W111 that he would give to me for free, because his wife wanted it out of the yard, and he wanted to see someone do something with it, rather than scrap it. He said that if I take it, I'm welcome to do whatever I want with it, including restoring it, parting it out, selling it, or trading it. He forewarned me that it had no title, had flat tires, and was stuck in gear. He sent me the following pictures:

I thought it was a great opportunity, but I was really set on a 230S with a sunroof and didn't want to settle for less. I also have limited space and didn't want to bring it here in case the perfect car comes up for sale. But, the body and chrome appeared to be in really good condition, it has the correct bumpers for a wagon, and it at least had a firewall-mounted brake booster and was better suited than an earlier car would be. The cat eye taillights are also really neat, and the price was right. I felt like I would regret it if I passed on it since people seem to want thousands of dollars for rusted out, incomplete cars and it would be good security in case "the right car" doesn't come along at a price I can afford. There's also the possibility that I might be able to trade this one plus cash for the brown sunroof 230S I've been wanting for years. I also made sure that my roommate was okay with me bringing it here.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles